Hello everyone! Welcome to our first blog post! In the live Facebook video I described the importance of movement throughout the day to prevent chronic pains and injury. For so many people, sitting is a large component of their work day, and we now know how detrimental it can be to the body. For this reason, this week we created a Movement is Medicine Instagram series and provided simple exercises for the lower body that can be done at home or even at work.
As mentioned, as recommended by the World Health Organisation, adults should be getting 150 minutes per week of physical activity, which comes out to 30 minutes per day, 5 times per week. This can include walking, running, cycling, swimming, or whatever other activities you may enjoy. The daily exercises we post can be used throughout the day to contribute to your 30 minutes of exercise! By the end of the week, you may even consider putting all the exercises together and completing them in a circuit for an even more intense workout. If you would like more information regarding the physical activity guidelines, feel free to visit the WHO’s website listed here: http://www.who.int/dietphysicalactivity/factsheet_adults/en/
At times it may be easy to get wrapped up in your work and find yourself sitting at your desk for hours, but now that you’ve read this post, YOU MUST NEVER DO THIS AGAIN!! Easy ways to help you remember to get up throughout the day are to:
- Set a timer every 30 minutes- when it goes off, go for a walk around the office or take a minute to stretch!
- Drink more water- this means more trips to the bathroom!
- Pace around the office when taking a call instead of sitting at your desk
Need help fitting in the 30 minutes of exercise? Here are some easy ways to help you squeeze it into your day:
- Commute to work by walking or biking
- Build in time to work-out during your lunch break
- Take 10 minute breaks 3 times per day to run up and down the stairs or do exercises at your desk
- Use a stability ball instead of a chair to get your core muscles working
- Take a look at the exercises below!
We hope this helps you start thinking about being active during the day and gives you some simple ways to get started today! Let’s get moving people!!