Pre and Post Concussion Support for athletes
What is a concussion?
- A concussion is “a disturbance in brain function caused by a blow to the head”
- It can be caused by a direct or indirect blow
- Most commonly through player-to-player contact or player-to-ground contact
- Concussion may or may not involve a loss of consciousness!
- More than 10% of all contact sports athletes will sustain a concussion each year.
Signs and symptoms
- Each concussion is different and signs and symptoms will vary between individuals.
- Here are some of the most common signs/symptoms to look out for and monitor:
- Sensitivity to light and/or sound
- Amnesia and/or confusion
- Difficulty concentrating
- Difficulty with balance
- Neck pain
Emergency Department vs Physio:
|Can diagnose a concussion|
You should visit the ER immediately if you experience:
– A loss of consciousness
– Difficulties speaking, slurred speech, weakness in arms or legs
– Severe or worsening headache
|Cannot diagnose a concussion|
Can carry out subjective and objective baseline and post-concussion testing
Can treat concussion-related symptoms:
– Back and neck pain, headaches and dizziness, balance problems
Can guide and advise an athlete on when they can return to train and play
What is NeuroFlex®?
- NeuroFlex® Test is a variety of tests completed through a virtual reality headset that measures an individual’s eye and head position as they complete each task. Each individual test is designed to evaluate a different aspect of our brain health reflexes.
- Upon completion of the test, we receive an objective report that breaks down an individual’s ocular motor function and brain health.
- From this report, we can identify weaknesses present in the individual and tailor our treatment program to improve on those weaknesses.
- The NeuroFlex® training tool stimulates and assists patient performance based on their test results.
Why is NeuroFlex® concussion screening important?
- Concussions are difficult to diagnose and each presents differently between persons in terms of severity and symptoms.
- NeuroFlex® VR testing allows us to accurately record a baseline concussion test and gives us objective data to compare against upon concussion when we retest the individual.
- It is important for individuals to undergo these screenings and re-testing so that we can track the progression of their concussion and determine when it is safe for them to return to play.
- Repeat testing can help identify cognitive symptoms or deficits that may require further treatment or rehabilitation.
What do we provide to you post-concussion?
- 15minute re-screening with the NeuroFlex® VR tool
- Followed by a standard 30-minute consultation
- Thorough assessment through the head, neck and back
- Personalised treatment program to manage your symptoms
- Breakdown and review of your NeuroFlex® results
- Treatment program with vestibular training to try to prevent a subsequent concussion when you return to play
- Advice on when you can return to training and games
Booking a consultation with our team
If you would like to book a consultation please call us on 80808088 or email us at email@example.com